Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Declaration of Independence

What is the Author arguing?

The arguments made in the Declaration of Independence can be interpreted as being taxation without representation and the fact that this practice was tyrannical. Americans felt they were not being represented in the British government and they resented the fact that they were being taxed without their consent.  Another argument can be made that those that signed the document believed that all men were created equal by God and when born, were born with certain unalienable rights, those of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  They believed that the governments were created to protect these rights and see them secure but the British government were in fact trying to take the rights away instead of protect them.

How does the author appeal to logos, pathos and ethos with their argument?

The author appeals to logic in the arguments made in that the issues he makes are made in a completely calm and rational manner, he didn't rant and rave about what needed to be done hysterically, he was professional and respectufl.  The emotional quality in the argument comes from the words and how they are spoken.  The imagery that is presented paints a picture for the Americans wanting to get out from British rule and allowed them to understand what he was saying as well as rise up and take control of their land.  The writer's perceived character of the argument is kind of muddeled because it was re-worked mainly by Thomas Jefferson because of the relatively unkown status in the community of the original writer.  I think though that the perceived character of the document as a whole can be seen in the words as having great character and the ability to use the words as a weapon instead of violence.

What is the historical significance/relevance of this document?

The significance of this document is that it basically gave women and those of different races later down the road in history a voice.  It says all men are created equal and now women are treated the same as men and all races are equal.  Without the presence of civil rights mentioned,  those rights may not have come in to light and the world would be completely different.  It gave voice to American colonists and led them to revolt against Britain and become their own world.

Do you find the author's argument convincing?  why or why not?

I definately do find the arguments convincing.  I think among many different reasons this document was the basic groundwork for civil rights and for the recognition of ALL people's unalienable rights of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  I think that because this document was signed and presented it began to pave the way for those of different races and for females to be heard in our nation and continues to do so today.

6 comments:

  1. I love what you said about using his words as a weapon but not as violence.

    But moving on, I would just like to add that in my opinion the Declaration stood for more than just seperating from a country that was treating them terribly it was showed that everyone in the coloines came together in a time of need to make this life and history altering decision. To me, this proves that the colonies were ready to become their own country and survive on their own.

    Great job tying in the importance that this made on segragation and women's rights, though I knew it but it didn't come to my mind right away. Also, the document was important because it showed the colonies weren't going to wait for Britain to give them freedom, they were going to take it and fight for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job you had some interesting points. I also found it interesting how you brought up the rights of women and of different races. However I do not neccessarily agree that this specific document provided women for a basis argument for their civil rights. At this time women were severly looked down upon, and were treated more as furniture than actual people. It wasn't until almost two centuries later and a long chain of events that women began to protest their civil rights. Although I do agree that this document occured at the beginning of a time period which encouraged spoken opinions and major changes to how society viewed certain groups of people.
    I would also like to emphasize that this document united the people together for one purpose. Part of this is what Sanderson was saying how the colonies were ready to survive on their own. They trusted their leaders who signed the declaration of independance and were emotionally prepared for the opposition that stood before them. Together with this strong desire to be independant, they were able to withstand the forces that attempted to bring the new counrty down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't saying that this document specifically helped women earn their rights, I was saying that the Declaration helped pave the way toward it, yes it might have been centuries later but coupled with other leaders and documents, the Declaration of Independance was historically significant as being a part of women and civil rights. I also stated that it gave Americans a chance for their voices to be heard and lead them in a revolt to become their own world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see what you meant by women's rights. It's true that without the U.S. breaking off from Britain and declaring themself a free nation, as well as saying that all men are created equal, the chance for women to be equal might not have come along. The same thing goes for slavery and racial discrimination over the years. The Declaration really did pave the road to freedom in all of those different aspects. I also agree with what Sanderson? I think her name is Savanna, said when she pointed out that it was a powerful statement for the country to come together and make that decision. From then on the United States was known as free and independent, a place where anyone could come (now legal or not), into the melting pot and share their cultures. Thinking about how diverse the United States is now, it really is amazing that our country is what it is. We are a country because we believe in freedom and being a diverse people. Sometimes people forget this, with all of the evils that happen, but it's true. We are blessed to be in a free and independent nation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your TA. I can feel you on one small aspect of this document in a way paving a path for woman’s rights and also different races, I thought it was interesting that on a few of the different states bill of rights it was specified that "the people" were white American’s, even including a little ditty on how the slaves were not included on the equally free and independent part of the bill, than when the Declaration of Independence was drawn up it did not mention the slaves/black people being excluded. So I understand your thought on how this was indeed a step towards future racial equality.

    Ok on to a different subject, after reading what horrible abuse these people suffered, I thought that this document was written logically, clearly and rationally. They were tired of the king treating them horribly and so they were branching off and breaking all ties with Great Britain. I am sure that this was a time of great anxiety because of thoughts of retaliation from King George III, but they probably figured that if they didn’t do something now, things would only get worse and they had nothing to lose but everything to gain.

    I have not read about this document in years, since I was in High School so it was interesting to revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you did the second paragraph how the author was calm when writing it. It seems that you really understood this article. I agree with you that if we were still under England’s rule there would be way less diversity in our country. I declaration of independence was a sign of countries success beating the England and not having to follow the England laws. If it weren’t for independence the rights wouldn’t be equal and I think that slavery would still be a part of our lives. The Declaration inspired many of the colonists to fight against Britain and I like how you pointed out that British government would take away the rights when the colonists tried to protect their rights. The independence really did pave the way things are today. If we were still under the Britain’s rule there would be no opportunity for you to become a famous leader. Like their church they will run you the way they want to run it. I am glad that all of these conflicts were resolved when there were muskets and single shot rifles, I can’t imagine if independence happened today, the weapons today would kill most of the population not in the country but in the world.

    ReplyDelete